With over 2000 billionaires in the world, ups and downs owing to capitalism, the man at the top this year,
Here we bring to you, all that you wanted to know about the richest people in the world right now. So, read on to discover how and why these people got so rich. Here
1. Jeff Bezos
- Net Worth- 14,530 crores USD (145.3 billions)
- Industry: Technology
- Founder and CEO: Amazon.com
- Age: 55-year-old
- Birthplace: Albuquerque, New Mexico, United States
- Amazon founder Jeff Bezos outpaced Bill Gates in July 2017. He became the richest man in the world today. At that time his estimated net worth was $112 billion, as the ‘Forbes’s 2018 Billionaires List’ stated.
- He owns nearly 16 to 17% of the company-Amazon.com. This online shopping or e-commercial colossus is responsible for Jeff’s growth. The launched the retail giant- Amazon in 1994. Before he founded Amazon he did a New York hedge fund job. Earlier, he was an online book retailer. It was operated out of Bezos’s garage in Seattle. Now, according to CNBC, Amazon is the world’s largest online shopping retailer, worth over $430 billion.
- In 2017, he made $19.3 billion and his fortune jumped to become the retail giant. The company bought Whole Foods in June 2017 hence, had a record-breaking Amazon Prime Day.
- Bezos owns a private aerospace company- Blue Origin, which will soon develop a rocket for commercial use.
- Jeff Bezos bought ‘The Washington Post in 2013’ for $250 million.
- Bezos’s parents are Jackie and Mike Bezos. They operate the Bezos Family Foundation. It supports youth education.
- Mac Kenzie (his wife now separated) was the first accountant of Amazon. As per Washington State Law, she could get around half of Jeff’s assets. This makes her the richest woman of the world.
2. Bill Gates
- Net worth- 9,830 crores USD (98.3 Billion)
- Industry: Technology
- Founder and CEO: Microsoft
- Age: 63-year-old
- Birthplace: Seattle
- Bill Gates used his first computer in 1967 in school. In 1975, he along with his childhood friend Paul Allen at school co-founded Microsoft together.
- He was CEO of Microsoft until 2000 and the company’s chairman and the largest shareholder until the year 2014. He is a member of the board still as a technology adviser for the company.
- Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation is the largest private charity in the world. Gates and his wife, Melinda, co-chair the foundation (launched in 1999). Foundation focuses on ending all infectious diseases around the world, mainly HIV and malaria.
- Gates is a public figure. Gates along with Warren Buffett and Mark Zuckerberg has founded the charity foundation “The Giving Pledge”. It encourages other billionaires to donate sizable amounts of their wealth to charity. ‘The Giving Pledge’ focuses on health and development issues across the globe
3. Bernard Arnault
- Net worth- 8,370 crores USD (83.7 Billion)
- Industry: Retail
- CEO: LVMH
- Age: 70-year-old
- Nationality: French
- Bernard Arnault is the CEO of LVMH. It includes brands such as Louis Vuitton, Dom Perignon, Bulgari, and Sephora, since 1989. These brands combined sold under LVMH sold $40 billion in sales in 2016.
- LVMH is the largest luxury goods company in the world.
- Began his career as a civil engineer. He had control of his family parent company, Groupe Arnault.
- Arnault is an art collector.
- He created the Paris-based Foundation, Louis Vuitton. It supports artistic creation in France.
- In the 1980s, he purchased fashion brand Christian Dior in order to avoid bankruptcy for the brand.
- Forbes reported- In late April 2017 when he announced he will take full control of Christian Dior.
- He created the Paris-based Foundation- Louis Vuitton. It supports artistic creation in France.
4. Warren Buffett
- Net worth- 8,270 crores USD (82.7 Billion)
- Industry: Finance and investments
- Founder and CEO: Berkshire Hathaway
- Age: 88-years-old
- Nickname: The Oracle of Omaha
- Birthplace: Omaha, Nebraska, United States
- Berkshire Hathaway,s CEO is Warren Buffett. He is an investment genius and an iconic figure. At the age of 11 years, he bought his first stock and filed his first taxes at 13. Became a billionaire at the age of 32.
- Buffett owns over and even more than 60 companies.
- He is a renowned investor. Although he still lives a modest lifestyle, in recently released HBO documentary- Becoming Warren Buffett, revealed that he typically pays less than $4 for breakfast from McDonald’s every morning.
- Buffett has pledged to give away 99% of his wealth in charity.
- In 2010, Buffett, parallel to Bill Gates, created The Giving Pledge and promised to donate at least half of their fortunes to the charities.
5. Amancio Ortega
- Net Worth- 6,700 crores USD (67.0 Billions)
- Industry: retail
- Co-founder: Inditex
- Age: 82-year-old
- Nationality: Spanish
- Amancio Ortega is the richest, self-made billionaire in Europe and co-founded the company Inditex, which includes Zara’s fashion chain in 1975 with his wife Rosalia Mera, who passed away in 2013.
- His real-estate includes properties in New York, London, and Madrid.
- Ortega owns 59% of Inditex, which has 7,000 stores worldwide. He became chairman of the company in 2011.
- His company’s success works on two factors: speed and customers. CNBC has reported that his “fast fashion” philosophy includes refreshing the stock at Zara stores twice a week. They do not just focus on what’s in at fashion shows. The company follows the bloggers and customers for what they are wearing to inform what is sold
6. Carlos Slim Helu
- Net worth- 6,170 crores USD (61.7 Billion)
- Industry: Telecommunications, banking, retail
- Chairman: América Móvil
- Age: 79-year-old
- Nationality: Mexican
- Carlos Slim Helu is the chairman of Latin America’s biggest mobile telecom firm, América Móvil.
- Slim’s father immigrated to Mexico from Lebanon along with his family before Slim’s birth. Slim has inherited the businesses following his father’s death in 1953. He founded his first company i.e., insurance company Inversora Bursatil after his graduation from college(the early 1960s).
- Outside Mexico, he now owns 17% of the New York Times — the largest individual shareholder of The Grey Lady.
- Slim is a philanthropist too but he has criticized other billionaires for donating their money to charity. Instead, Slim says that the company leaders need to “create companies” rather than “give away companies.”
7. Larry Ellison
- Net worth- 6,410 crores USD (64.1 Billion)
- Industry: Technology
- Founder, chairman and former CEO: Oracle, software company
- Age: 74 years-old
- Birthplace: New York City, United States
- Larry Ellison co-founded the software company Oracle, in 1977. It was initially was launched with $2,000 of funding, $1,200 of it belonged to Ellison’s own pocket. He was the highest-paid executive in the United States before he became CEO in 2014 but still continues to be involved with Oracle.
- He moved from Chicago to California. He dropped out of college twice and also worked several jobs. Here he learned computer programming, including the one where he helped to build a database for the CIA.
- He left the company along with two co-workers to found Oracle. It became the most popular database in the world.
- Ellison already gave millions to charity and education and even plans to give away more.
- But he lives in very luxurious ways as well. He has millions of dollars’ worth of real estate around the globe, including the complete island of Lanai in Hawaii.
8. Mark Zuckerberg
- Net worth- 6,120 crores USD (61.2 Billion)
- Industry: Technology
- Founder and CEO: Facebook
- Age: 34 years-old
- Birthplace: White Plains, New York, United States.
- Mark Zuckerberg founded the website- Facebook in his Harvard dorm room around 15 years ago. He became one of the richest people in the world after this invention. He along with his wife, Priscilla Chan, have pledged to giving away 99% of their money before they die.
- Mark Zuckerberg was only a kid at Harvard University, when he created the very first version of Facebook in 2004. It served as a social media powerhouse and began on college campuses firstly. Now Facebook has more than 1.2 billion users and many offices located around the world. Facebook company is now worth $400 billion.
- Zuckerberg became the youngest of the world’s richest people /top billionaires at 33 years of age.
- The Social Network, award-winning film in 2011 was based on Zuckerberg’s founding of Facebook while in his schooldays.
- Like the other billionaires, Zuckerberg is also a philanthropist. He has already donated millions to charity. He and his wife, Priscilla Chan, have developed a charitable foundation- the Chan Zuckerberg Initiative.
9. Michael Bloomberg
- Net worth- 5,690 crores USD (56.9 Billion)
- Industry: Media
- Founder and CEO: Bloomberg LP
- Age: 77 years-old
- Birthplace: Brighton, Boston, Massachusetts, United States
- Michael Bloomberg is a CEO, a philanthropist, and also a politician.
- He launched Bloomberg L.P., in 1981, an information technology and media company. It grew rapidly and is worth $45 billion. It has more than 100 offices worldwide.
- Bloomberg was a partner at Salomon Brothers, a Wall Street investment bank before he starting his own company.
- As an efficient philanthropist, Bloomberg donated $5 billion of his wealth to contribute to the causes that go along with his political interests, which includes gun control and climate change.
- An experienced politician-Bloomberg has served three terms as the mayor of New York City from 2002 to 2013. During his term as mayor, he traveled to work, taking the New York City subway every day from his home at City Hall.
10. Larry Page
- Net worth-5,520 crores USD (55.2 Billion)
Technology Co-founder and CEO: Google
- Age: 46 years-old
- Birthplace: East Lansing, Michigan, United States.
- Larry Page is the CEO of Alphabet. It is the parent company of Google.
- He is the co-founder of Google. In the year 1998, he founded google along with Sergey Brin.
- Together they invented Google’s PageRank algorithm. This powers the search engine.
- He stepped aside from the position of CEO in 2001 but later joined in for the same in 2011.
- Also, Page received the Marconi Prize in 2004 and become one of thr richest people.
So, these were the top 10 richest people in the world 2019. For more such information keep visiting us.